Pandora & The "Na'vi"

Post  SuiGeneris on Thu May 27, 2010 6:21 am

Leona Lewis ~ "I See You"

I see you...
    I see you...
    Walking through a dream...♫
    I see you...
    My light in darkness breathing hope of new life...♫
    Now I live through you and you through me...
    Enchanting...
    I pray in my heart that this dream never ends...♫
    I see me through your eyes...♫
    Breathing through life flying high....♫

Your life shines the way into paradise...♫
    So I offer my life as a sacrifice...
    I live through your love!

You teach me how to see...
    All that’s beautiful!!

My senses touch your word I never pictured...♫
    Now I give my hope to you
    I surrender...
    I pray in my heart that this world never ends...!!
    Breathing through life flying high..!!

Your love shines the way into paradise...♫
    So I offer my life...
    I offer my love, for you!

When my heart was never open...♫
    (and my spirit never free)
    To the world that you have shown me...♫
    But my eyes could not division...
    All the colors of love and of life ever more...♫

Evermore!!!
    (I see me through your eyes)
    (Breathing through life flying high)
    Flying high...♫

Your love shines the way into paradise...♫
    So I offer my life as a sacrifice...
    I live through your love...♫

I see you...♫

heart glitter

Oel ngati kameie

Sui

Re: Pandora & The "Na'vi"

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri May 28, 2010 5:18 am

Sui

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri May 28, 2010 11:57 am

James Cameron Going to Battle For REAL PANDORA Here on Earth!!!
    The New York Times

The Belo Monte dam could dry up part of the Xingu River.

“The snake kills by squeezing very slowly,” Mr. Cameron said to more than 70 indigenous people, some holding spears and bows and arrows, under a tree here along the Xingu River. “This is how the civilized world slowly, slowly pushes into the forest and takes away the world that used to be,” he added.

As if to underscore the point, seconds later a poisonous green snake fell out of a tree, just feet from where Mr. Cameron’s wife sat on a log. Screams rang out. Villagers scattered. The snake was killed. Then indigenous leaders set off on a dance of appreciation, ending at the boat that took Mr. Cameron away. All the while, Mr. Cameron danced haltingly, shaking a spear, a chief’s feathery yellow and white headdress atop his head.
    In the 15 years since he wrote the script for “Avatar,” his epic tale of greed versus nature, Mr. Cameron said, he had become an avid environmentalist. But he said that until his trip to the Brazilian Amazon last month, his advocacy was mostly limited to the environmentally responsible way he tried to live his life: solar and wind energy power his Santa Barbara home, he said, and he and his wife drive hybrid vehicles and do their own organic gardening.

“Avatar” — and its nearly $2.7 billion in global tickets sales — has changed all that, flooding Mr. Cameron with kudos for helping to “emotionalize” environmental issues and pleas to get more involved.
    Now, Mr. Cameron said, he has been spurred to action, to speak out against the looming environmental destruction endangering indigenous groups around the world — a cause that is fueling his inner rage and inspiring his work on an “Avatar” sequel.

“Any direct experience that I have with indigenous peoples and their plights may feed into the nature of the story I choose to tell,” he said. “In fact, it almost certainly will.” Referring to his Amazon trip, he added, “It just makes me madder.”
    Mr. Cameron is so fired up, in fact, that he said he was planning to go back to the Amazon this week, this time with Sigourney Weaver and at least another member of the “Avatar” cast in tow.

The focus is the huge Belo Monte dam planned by the Brazilian government. It would be the third largest in the world, and environmentalists say it would flood hundreds of square miles of the Amazon and dry up a 60-mile stretch of the Xingu River, devastating the indigenous communities that live along it. For years the project was on the shelf, but the government now plans to hold an April 20 auction to award contracts for its construction.
    Stopping the dam has become a fresh personal crusade for the director, who came here as indigenous leaders from 13 tribes held a special council to discuss their last-ditch options. It was Mr. Cameron’s first visit to the Amazon, he said, even though he based the fictional planet in “Avatar” on Amazon rain forests. Still, he found the real-life similarities to the themes in his movie undeniable.

The dam is a “quintessential example of the type of thing we are showing in ‘Avatar’ — the collision of a technological civilization’s vision for progress at the expense of the natural world and the cultures of the indigenous people that live there,” he said.

Mr. Cameron said that he was writing a letter to President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva urging him to reconsider the dam and that he would press for a meeting with the president. “They need to listen to these people here,” he said. Mr. Cameron, 55, first encountered the cause in February, after being presented with a letter from advocacy organizations and Native American groups saying they wanted Mr. Cameron to highlight “the real Pandoras in the world,” referring to the lush world under assault in his movie.

Atossa Soltani, executive director of Amazon Watch, who accompanied him on his trip last month, said Mr. Cameron lit up at the idea of learning more, saying he had grown up in the Canadian woods and had even logged thousands of hours underwater exploring the world’s oceans.

As for Mr. Cameron’s Amazon adventure, it got off to a rocky start. The boat he traveled to the village in flooded when a hose became disconnected. Mr. Cameron chipped in, grabbing a plastic bucket to help bail for a few hours in the searing midday heat, he and others on the boat said.
    Many of the indigenous leaders he was planning to meet with had never heard of him before, much less seen his movie. All they knew was that “a powerful ally” would be attending their gathering, Ms. Soltani said.
    So, the night before Mr. Cameron and his wife, Suzy Amis, arrived with three bodyguards, a dozen or so villagers gathered in the house of José Carlos Arara, the chief of the Arara tribe here, to watch a DVD of “Avatar.”

“What happens in the film is what is happening here,” said Chief Arara, 30.

The morning after Mr. Cameron’s party arrived in the village, Chief Arara led them on a walk through the rain forest. Mr. Cameron, almost mirroring the enraptured scientists in his movie, was calm but wide-eyed, peppering the chief with questions about the local fauna and flora and traditional indigenous ways. In seconds, the chief showed how he could fashion ankle braces from leaves to help him scale an açaí tree.
    The leaders then invited Mr. Cameron to participate in their meeting. He sat at a small wooden school desk as they made speeches condemning the impending dam and the Brazilian government. Mr. Cameron seemed to tear up when some leaders said they would be willing to die to stop the dam.

Finally, Mr. Cameron was asked to speak. He stood and complimented the leaders on their unity, saying they needed to fight off efforts by the government to divide them and weaken their resistance.

“That is what can stop the snake; that is what can stop the dam,” he said.

A rush of applause swept through the crowd. When the real snake fell from the tree, the director seemed unfazed. After clearing it away, indigenous leaders thanked him with gifts. One gave him a spear, another a black and red necklace of seeds. A third, Chief Jaguar from the Kaiapo nation, one of Brazil’s most respected, gave him his headdress before the dances in Mr. Cameron’s honor began.
    “It’s not like there is any pressure on me or anything,” he said, half-joking, moments before boarding the boat. “These people really are looking for me to do something about their situation. We have to try to stop this dam. Their whole way of life, their society as they know it, depends on it.”

Slideshow: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/04/11/world/americas/20100411-brazil-cameron-amazon/index.html?ref=americas#

"The Sky People have sent us a message...
    that they can take whatever they want.
    ...we will show the Sky People... that they
    can not take whatever they want!
    And that this, this is our land!!!"

Jake Sully

Sui

Last edited by SuiGeneris on Sat May 29, 2010 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Here's a nice video that tells a little bit about their planet...

Tijawn,

Sui

Post  Guest on Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm

SuiGeneris wrote:Avatar's Vision!!

Sui

This is interesting in this clip above (in the above post) it is actually mentioned that Cameron had a dream about it some years ago and the main actor (Jake) actually used word "channeled" he said that...the soul gets channeled into the avatar body...using that machine....now it could be a coincidence or it could be some facts "innocently hidden" in what looks like an official behind the scenes movie.
    SuiGeneris

Post  SuiGeneris on Sun May 30, 2010 5:02 pm

There are no coincidences....

Xeia

Post  SuiGeneris on Sun May 30, 2010 6:36 pm

lindabaker wrote:SuiG: your photo is excellent! And the shift from Tibet to S. America is perfect. All is coming in the perfect time. The indigenous cultures and teachings of S. America have become removed from occultation: this means the light can be shined on what's been waiting to be revealed. It's all good. We are so privileged to be here, now, for this change. Keep up the great links, I love them. Linda p.s. I will continue the Avatar thread soon. Somehow, it's all related in the back of my mind somewhere.

Heh  ...yes Linda, you're right. I also feel exited about this time now and we're not the only ones...I'm glad you are enjoying this place.

You are also right about Avatar being related to all what's happening now...it is in more ways that you can imagine.
    James Cameron may not be able to say it openly...at least not yet anyway..but this vision he had of Pandora was not only a mere dream he had; he'd actually traveled or was taken there during one of his Super-luminal travels while in his sleep state.  

While it's true he had to wait so many years to be able to present it accordingly to the world, I also feel the timing of the movie (2009-2010) was perfect and in any way a coincidence.  He also needed to wait for the appropriate technology to be able to present it in a manner suitable for what he witnessed.  He needed the best artists out there  able to impress him enough (being an artist himself)to be able to develop a world that was already "there" in his mind.  Iow, he didn't make it up...he had SEEN it.

The stargates, wormholes between dimensions/worlds, the flying "Dragons", the colors of such dragons, the sequence of events, the individual journey of the hero, the power structure of the "aliens" and natives that changes drastically towards the end of the movie, The planet herself and biosphere, the Na'vi culture, the language, the colors, sizes...etc, etc, etc...all contain strong symbolism and speaks very clearly to those who have eyes to see.

It would be an awesome thread indeed and an adventure in and of itself to be able to decode and discuss all scenes and their specific significance and hidden meanings.  I was going to include a few posts about the subject anyway, in any case it could be done here too.  

Oel ngatì kameie!!

SuiGeneris

Post  SuiGeneris on Sun May 30, 2010 6:58 pm

The AVATAR/Matrix Connection!!!

At first glance, AVATAR and The Matrix don't have much in common—but wait: James Cameron compared the two flicks as immersive experiences back in August. Hmm: hero-savior who uses an artificial body to fight evil. A technologically superior force of bad guys. Confusion about what constitutes reality, both within the movie and for the viewer—but this time the virtual world is an agent of deliverance. Unlike The Matrix, though, AVATAR winds up being strangely utopian.

Though it’s easy to pigeonhole Mr. Cameron as a gear head who’s more interested in cool tools (which here include 3-D), he is, with “Avatar,” also making a credible attempt to create a paradigm shift in science-fiction cinema. Since it was first released in 1999, “The Matrix,” which owes a large debt to Mr. Cameron’s own science-fiction films as well as the literary subgenre of cyberpunk, has hung heavily over both SF and action filmmaking. Most films that crib from “The Matrix” tend to borrow only its slo-mo death waltzes and leather fetishism, keeping its nihilism while ditching the intellectual inquiries. Although “Avatar” delivers a late kick to the gut that might be seen as nihilistic (and how!), it is strangely utopian.

It doesn’t take Jake long to feel the good vibes. Like Neo, the savior-hero of the “Matrix” series played by Keanu Reeves, Jake is himself an avatar because he’s both a special being and an embodiment of an idea, namely that of the hero’s journey. What initially makes Jake unusual is that he has been tapped to inhabit a part-alien, part-human body that he controls, like a puppeteer, from its head to its prehensile tail. Like the rest of the human visitors who’ve made camp on Pandora, he has signed on with a corporation that’s intent on extracting a valuable if mysterious substance from the moon called unobtainium, a great whatsit that is an emblem of humanity’s greed and folly. With his avatar, Jake will look just like one of the natives, the Na’vi, a new identity that gives the movie its plot turns and politics.

The first part of Jake’s voyage — for this is, above all, a boy’s rocking adventure, if one populated by the usual tough Cameron chicks — takes him from a wheelchair into a 10-foot, blue-skinned Na’vi body. At once familiar and pleasingly exotic, the humanoid Na’vi come with supermodel dimensions (slender hips, a miniature-apple rear); long articulated digits, the better to grip with; and the slanted eyes and twitchy ears of a cat. (The gently curved stripes that line their blue skin, the color of twilight, bring to mind the markings on mackerel tabby cats.) For Jake his avatar, which he hooks into through sensors while lying in a remote pod in a semiconscious state, is at first a giddy novelty and then a means to liberation.

Plugging into the avatar gives Jake an instant high, allowing him to run, leap and sift dirt through his toes, and freeing him from the constraints of his body. Although physically emancipated, he remains bound, contractually and existentially, to the base camp, where he works for the corporation’s top scientist, Dr. Grace Augustine (Sigourney Weaver, amused and amusing), even while taking orders from its head of security, Col. Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang), a military man turned warrior for hire. A cartoon of masculinity, Quaritch strides around barking orders like some intransigent representation of American military might (or a bossy movie director). It’s a favorite Cameron type, and Mr. Lang, who until this year had long been grievously underemployed, tears into the role like a starved man gorging on steak.

Pandora, Matrix... which world would you rather live in?

By MANOHLA DARGIS
    The New York Times

heart glitter

Post  SuiGeneris on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Carmen wrote:Hi SuiG, Great to be here. BTW I just love you Avatar. I saw the movie on New Years Eve in a nearly empty theatre. It was like a private showing! cheers I loved the movie, was absolutely mesmeirized by it. Especially loved the Avatar bodies, (those wonderful moveable ears) :D Soo expressive!!Loved the forest, the nature. Its been my dream to live in such a world. Found the whole futuristic world so fascinating. I am always upset when I see trees being felled, especially large ones. I feel the trees, and my heart just bursts when they are destroyed. I plant trees where I live all the time. Ive learnt how to propagate them and I do that. The great forests are being felled at such a rate now, I yearn for the time that that will have ceased!

Love,

Carmen
    Hi Carmen!  Nice to see you again.  
    How lucky to have seen Avatar the way you did! Wow!  What I like about the Navi’s bodies is the seemingly weightlessness of them, great for flying or ‘falling in style’ I guess! I also like the fact that their skin shines!  I love everything that shines and sparkles!  Of course nature on Pandora also shines and sparkles, and so it is understandable that they’ve become adjusted to their environment.  

It is indeed more than an awesome movie…to many including myself, it has a very deep message and it was introduced to the masses at the time that it was on purpose.  Take for example Star Wars…this movie was ‘downloaded’ into George Lucas on a precise sequence and to me it represents Mankind’s past, Neo’s Matrix is the present, and Avatar… the future.  

This so called ‘futuristic’ movie is not the far future anymore…it is actually happening now.  In it, there are two kinds of beings; one being the invaders who are not attuned with nature and therefore not knowing themselves; and the other type of beings who are one with nature and who therefore know themselves and their powers.  This two ‘kind’ of beings exist right now on Earth and not too long ago the actual split between them started.  

What you saw on the screen more than a movie was a mirror that reflected not only what we witness on 3D life every day, but also a reminder of how it is to live in oneness.  This did not come by coincidence or by the makings of only one man…it was also ‘introduced’ to Earthlings at a precise time.  No wonder the PTB fear the movie.  I’ve also read that many people are becoming depressed and even suicidal after watching the movie…

what I have to say about that is the fact that something is making people take a look inwards, at their lives, at themselves... is a GOOD thing.  According to mainstream medicine too many people are already “clinically depressed” and in need of their poison to get better…What a laugh!  What may be happening is that especially young people are already disgusted at war, disease, hunger, fear, etc, etc.. and long for the day when they’ll be finally released from this Matrix because they are not from here to begin with.   They remember living in oneness when they look at the Navi and miss it; not necessarily a planet with the same characteristics but the vibration of oneness, of living in unity with nature.  

Others may be looking at the possibility of humans becoming soulless robots and may feel powerless to do anything to help avoid it…  Btw, the movie is coming out on DVD soon for those who haven’t seen it yet or don't like going to the movies.

There was a thread on the old Mists where you had to explain your Avatar.  I’ll introduce here what I explained over there about her.  My Avatar is Neytiri, Navi Princess of the Omaticaya Clan from the movie Avatar.  She will be the future spiritual leader or 'Tsahik' of the clan with her mate Jack Sully becoming the 'Olo'eyktan' or clan leader.  I like her because she is a blue Paschat from the Andromeda Galaxy and it seems that I am associated with them in some way.  My handle SuiGeneris means “in a class of its own” or unique in its own characteristics and it's fitting for her.  
    Much love to you,

Suiheart glitter

Vatican Slams 'Avatar'

Post  SuiGeneris on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Vatican Slams 'Avatar'

VATICAN CITY ~ Associated Press— "Avatar" is wooing audiences worldwide with visually dazzling landscapes and nature-loving blue creatures. But the Vatican is no easy crowd to please.

The Vatican newspaper and radio station are criticizing James Cameron's 3-D blockbuster for flirting with the idea that worship of nature can replace religion – a notion the pope has warned against. They call the movie a simplistic and sappy tale, despite its awe-inspiring special effects.

"Not much behind the images" was how the Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, summed it up in a headline.

As the second highest-grossing movie ever, "Avatar" is challenging the record set by Cameron's previous movie "Titanic."

Generally it has been critically acclaimed and is touted as a leading Oscar contender.

Bolivia's first indigenous president, Evo Morales, has praised "Avatar" for what he calls its message of saving the environment from exploitation. But the movie also has drawn a number of critical voices. Some American conservative bloggers have decried its anti-militaristic message; a small group of people have said the movie contains racist themes.

To Vatican critics, the alien extravaganza is just "bland."

Cameron "tells the story without going deep into it, and ends up falling into sappiness," said L'Osservatore Romano. Vatican Radio called it "rather harmless" but said it was no heir to sci-fi masterpieces of the past.

Most significantly, much of the Vatican criticism was directed at the movie's central theme of man vs. nature.
    L'Osservatore said the film "gets bogged down by a spiritualism linked to the worship of nature." Similarly, Vatican Radio said it "cleverly winks at all those pseudo-doctrines that turn ecology into the religion of the millennium."

"Nature is no longer a creation to defend, but a divinity to worship," the radio said.

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said that while the movie reviews are just that – film criticism, not theological pronouncements – they do reflect Pope Benedict XVI's views on the dangers of turning nature into a "new divinity."

Benedict has often spoken about the need to protect the environment, earning the nickname of "green pope." But he also has balanced that call with a warning against turning environmentalism into neo-paganism.

In a recent World Day of Peace message, the pontiff warned against any notions that equate human beings with other living things in the name of a "supposedly egalitarian vision." He said such notions "open the way to a new pantheism tinged with neo-paganism, which would see the source of man's salvation in nature alone, understood in purely naturalistic terms."

The pope explained in the message that while many experience tranquillity and peace when coming into contact with nature, a correct relationship between man and the environment should not lead to "absolutizing nature" or "considering it more important than the human person."

The Vatican newspaper occasionally likes to comment in its cultural pages on movies or pop culture icons, as it did recently about "The Simpsons" or U2. In one famous instance, several Vatican officials spoke out against "The Da Vinci Code."

In this case, the reviews came out after a red-carpet "Avatar" preview held in Rome just a stone's throw from St. Peter's Square. The movie – which has made more than $1.3 billion at box offices worldwide, partly boosted by higher 3-D ticket prices – will be released Friday in Italy.

"So much stupefying, enchanting technology, but few genuine emotions," said L'Osservatore in one of three articles devoted to "Avatar" in its Sunday editions. The plotline of aliens who live on a distant unspoiled planet and the humans who want to pillage their resources is a universal theme that can be reminiscent of past colonizations and wars, the paper said. As such, it is easy to relate to it, but also unoriginal.

"Everything is reduced to an overly simple anti-imperialistic and anti-militaristic parable," it said.

In America, the big numbers and media hype have been accompanied by some controversy.

Blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have criticized the film, with some calling it "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable." Cameron says the real theme is about respecting others' differences.

An LA Times blog noted that the movie "has inflamed the passions of right-wing bloggers and pundits."

"Cameron incensed many voices on the right by acknowledging of-the-moment messages about imperialism, greed, ecological disregard and corporate irresponsibility," it said. Anti-smoking lobbies have denounced the cigarette-puffing character played by Sigourney Weaver.

Back at the Vatican, the reviews did praise the groundbreaking visuals of the movie.

Vatican Radio said that "really never before have such surprising images been seen," while L'Osservatore said the movie's worth lies in its "extraordinary visual impact."
    Source:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/vatican-slams-avatar-prom_n_419949.html

James Cameron: 'Avatar' Is Political But It's Not Un-American

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 am

James Cameron: 'Avatar' Is Political But It's Not Un-American!!!

James Cameron responded on Tuesday night to critics who think his blockbuster hit "Avatar" was somehow un-American.

"I've heard people say this film is un-American, while part of being an American is having the freedom to have dissenting ideas," Cameron told the crowd at a private industry screening.

Conservative commentators such as Jonah Goldberg wondered why the space aliens didn't "accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts" and said it was a tired attack on the Iraq War. John Podhoretz said the movie was both "anti-American" and "anti-human." John Nolte, a critic at the conservative Big Hollywood, called it "America-hating."

But Cameron was not shy about the movie's political message, telling The Wrap that he wanted "Avatar" to say something about both foreign policy and the environment.

"This movie reflects that we are living through war," the director said. "There are boots on the ground, troops who I personally believe were sent there under false pretenses, so I hope this will be part of opening our eyes."

"I don't know if there is a political agenda exactly, but as an artist I felt a need to say something about what I saw around me. I think we all need to take stewardship of our planet."

Cameron and star Zoe Saldana also talked about the more technical side of the production.

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:55 am

Evo Morales Loves Avatar Because
    “It’s A Story Of Resistance From
    Capitalism”

Bolivian President Evo Morales said that he "identifies" with James Cameron's last film, Avatar. The film is the second largest grossing film production ever made, according to a state agency.

Morales, who went to the movies for the third time in his life to see the film, said that it "depicted the resistance against capitalism and the fight for the environment."

The president went to see the film with his daughter, Eva Liz, who is 15 years old and one of her cousins. He said that he found a parallelism in the film "with the fight for the environment and against capitalism."

Morales, who was declared "Mother Earth's Hero" by the United Nations, has fought for environmental rights in various international forums, including the Copenhagen climate talks.

Source: http://notas.guanabee.com

Sui heart glitter

Star Movies VIP Access: Avatar - Sam Worthington

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:47 am

Star Movies VIP Access: Avatar - Sam Worthington!!!

Star Movies VIP Access: Avatar - Zoe Saldana!!

two hearts

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 am

Star Movies VIP Access: Avatar - James Cameron!!!

heart glitter

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:16 am

Some Avatar Q&A

Q: There is like so many things i missed....cinema is crap...but i noticed them now after watching it again...
    A: I'm glad that you did.  It ussually is like this when you watch something with care... movies like these are really meant to be watched many times.

Q: The artificial avatar has human dna in it...how come than that he is allowed to mate with her...he is different dna is different....he is artificial and he has 5 fingers the real navi have 4 fingers.
    A: His "made" or "artificial" Avatar is only a different type of humanoid.  It is not a matter of being allowed or not allowed, he simply can mate with her because he is also a Na'vi, even though he also has some human DNA in his blood.  He is really no different than her.  Many humans here on Earth now also are not 100% fully humans and if you see them you really couldn't tell if they are or not.  If they have a child with a fully human person then their offspring will still be a humanoid..a mix.  The human body is a template.  Then you will find many different type of humanoids each with a different characteristics..bird people, reptile people, dragon people, cat people, horse people, etc, etc...  jack has 5 fingers because he has human DNA in him.

Q: Both have no body hair... all of them are slim and more or less perfectly shaped...no fat people...they seem to like jewelry/ornaments but not too much...they seem to put importance to the looks?  
    A: Yes Paschats have very little or no body hair, tall, slender athletic looking and love jewelry..as with any humanoid type...aesthetics and appreciation of beauty is there.

Q: Ma Jake?? My Jake?
    A: Yes...her Jake...She already feels him as being hers.

Q: There is also a point in the movie when the main military guy has no head scars...an error with the cgi make-up :)
    A: They should be more careful next time.

Q: And there is a very short scene when they go to sleep...it wold seems that singles sleep alone in the net while beneath them there were people together (look at the pic) they look like couples...not sure why they are all together.
    A: Yes, in Pandora as anywhere else in the Galaxy, singles of adult age sleep alone.  The Omaticaya you saw sleeping together was one family sleeping together.  When the mother and father wish to mate, they go do it on a separate net by themselves, and it does not have to be only to procreate...they do enjoy the intimacy of sex on a regular bases.

Q: One thing...why is marriage pre-arranged? Chiefs daughter and the future chief... And than she does it with him...isn't that like a violation of "contract" ?
    A: Marriage is only pre-arranged when it comes to the leadership of the clan because the spiritual leader or Priestess cannot be just anyone...as the leader have to be also carefully chosen due to the responsibility of their roles. The fact that she made love with him is not a violation of anything...on the contrary, she was simply following her heart and this is the woman who will be the future spiritual leader of the clan.  It seems to tell us that the old "contracts" ways are to be left behind and only follow own own hearts.

Q: They also do not seem to have pre marriage sex or sex for pleasure?
    A: There is no marriage as we know it.  So there is no such thing as pre marital sex. The Na'vi do enjoy sex for pleasure but are not promiscuous.

Q: Mated for life = no multiple partners = no sharing = no circles?
    A: Yes, this is very important...for the Na'vi, once you are mated with a female you are mated for life.  There is no multiple partners, no sharing, no "circles" whatever you mean with this...no orgies, no cheating...nothing like this.  You simply become one with her and enjoy the rest of your life getting to know each other...through their faults and mistakes, through their qualities and achievements....

Q:And when the future chief finds out about him being with her...nothing is said about it... Doctor lady goes: oh shit     But the future chief goes: did u mate with this woman.... (*this* woman....how about using her name?..if he "cares" so much)
    A: I know, Grace says "Oh shit" because she did not expect it...nobody did. But Neytiri's future husband does ask if they mated because if they did, he knew there was no way that he can be with her anymore.  Did you see how she was willing to fight whoever tried to hurt him when he fell to the ground?  He was hers now, and once two come together and become one not only in flesh but spiritually, emotionally and mentally there is no one that can bring them apart.  She had chosen and he had to accept it.  He said "woman" because he was furious.

Q: Why do the navi cover their body parts....like breasts for example...or is that just so one can show it in the cinema?
    A: They do because certain parts of the body are sacred to them.  All sexual parts of the body are, but sexual parts are even more.  Also, they don't show it in the big screen because it is in a movie and cinema.

Q: When she is showing him how to ride a horse (and at other times) her legs are blue with white strips like the rest of the body but when she is showing him the ikran (the bird) her legs haver something  purple on it...why, what is that? Like a riding gear? And does that ikran (seze) has a saddle like a horse? Why do they have to become a hunters to be part of the tribe...  hunter=kill? why not something else or is that just to bring it closer to the general public?
    A: Yes, it is.  It is a sort of hunting gear.  It is special clothes to use when hunting to avoid friction when mounting and to clean blades of pray's blood.  Seze has a saddle like a horse yes, otherwise they could very easily slip off when flying.  They have to become a hunter to be able to "become of age" among the Omaticaya.  Yes they kill animals to eat, but this means so much more than that.   In Jake's case, it was more to finally become accepted as one of the clan.  This is done because becoming a hunter is no easy task.  It means you are to be able to find and control your own ikran (Dragon) and become one with it, only then can you be of benefit to the community at large.  This is what you have to do in your personal life too.  First find your own Dragon...then
    have the courage to face it and take control of it...then put it/him into submission and then finally taking complete control of it by flying.  This means once you have accomplished that then you are really free and can FLY wherever you want.

Q: What is a taronyu hunter? Taronyu means "hunter" in Na'vi
    A: I am still against the use of animals for pleasure...like having a horse doing"gentlemen steps" just and turning it into a fancy snobbish sport and make jump over fences or run for money...or riding it for "experience"....
    Some species serve humanity willingly...horses are one of such species.  I am also against the abuse of any animal, and soon all of that will change in the New World. Riding a horse, when the horse invites you willingly...is an awesome experience.

Q: I also noticed a funeral...the body was put under the roots of some three... not berried or burned...
    A: Yes, the Na'vi return the body to Aywa.  They know the soul/spirit is immortal.

Q: Given their "spiritual advancement" they act like "hormone driven" teenagers when was party is announced...and they do not seem to think much since you can not use a bow against a mini gun, grenades and missiles...etc and it is also not pride...pride is different...it is a senseless waist..a lost opportunity to get back to them later...
    A: It is called Passion.  Passion in humans is a gift.  Those "hormone driven" acts also have a place in the Universe and a very important one.  They have to defend themselves any way they know how and since they only have bows and arrows that's what they use. They did kill many invaders with them though....don't you remember?

Q: How come that that science guy May just stays there after helping them escape it is year 21xx something...don't they have security cameras in detention/prison block?
    A: I'm sure they do..and usually in a movie some minor details like that have to be edited out.

Q: The arches near the three of souls...they look wood...but nature does not shape arches like that...
    A: Oh but it does... Those arches were formed by the trees trunks splitting into many different branches and slowly bending with the weight.  They are very very old trees.

Q: When Grace (doctor lady) is taken to Eywa she is naked but has green stuff around here...again with the "moral" thing? I mean...given the circumstances...would anyone really care is she is naked or not? (besides religion fundamentalists)
    A: The movie is rated PG13 i think....so sorry no full nakedness.

Q: And she gets "plugged in" the body is covered with white things and there is a special shot (twice) showing this white stuff going into the back of her neck....the same as in matrix....It also shows them (the whole tribe) connected with the ground....
    A: This is Awya...Mother.  These fiber-like threads are very thin roots that are supercharged...very much alive like the neurons in our brains and connect to the back of the neck because that is the exact place where the Pineal Gland is located right there but in the lower center of our brains.  So the souls escapes the body through this "wormhole"or "stargate".

Q: And once betrayed...always betrayed....even if u can ride the big bird (not to mention the whole scene about it is missing)...that should not change anything...i do not forgive...no exceptions...never That they "worshiped" him just because he could fly the big bird is an abomination....that she liked him again because of this....is a soap opera...or just something to bring it close to the human monkey but still...it could be made much better than this...
    A: The scene was missing due to lack of time and editing.  I do forgive...even though I never forget.  You should try that someday...it is liberating.  And the fact that the Na'vi are capable of doing it speaks very highly of their spiritual maturity and gnosis. The so-called abomination you speak of is a rare occurrence, almost a legend...and to see it realized in front of their very eyes at that precise moment of need I was surprised they did not show more emotion in their reaction!! It is the equivalent of a mass of people witnessing a UFO landing.  That she "liked" him again?? She was already IN LOVE with him.  He was to be her mate forever and I'm sure she was dying to see him again.  This is not soap opera!  It surprises me that you could be so cold and make such a dry and harsh statement.  Have you no heart?  I don't think I would like to go see a movie in which you are the writer of the script or the producer that's for sure!

Q: And in the final battle...are they using "walk i talkies" ? The radio communication? Like bows and modern communication equipment? Wtf?
    A: lol Wtf you say?  Use your imagination my love.  Those communication devises must've come from the "visitors".  But you have the movie so next time you watch it can watch out to see if you catch any Omaticaya using them at the beginning...I don't think so.

Q: A large portion of movie is dedicated to action-destruction it could be different...but than the people might no longer like it....
    A: So true.  Humans are so used to war they equivalent action with death.  very sad.

Q: When she sees him...his human like...the cripple one...i wonder why there is no reaction like: "so this is you than?" etc....
    A: Is that what you would've said? lol  I can only imagine!  Actually, this is one of my favorite scenes.  The energy is very very powerful when she finally sees him as a human, we can feel her love for him is true...no matter the "Avatar" he is using.  She is in Love with him...his soul.. not his Avatar!  I always cry in this scene.  I know it is the same face, same reaction when I will finally get to see my true love face to face for the first time!

Q: I most likely still missed things....the 2nd part of the movie is more action like and would probably have  see it again. (you came online towards the end so i was not attentive as before)
    A: We always do miss things.  that's the beauty of owning a nice movie, you can watch it over and over and see different little details every time...

Much Love from me,

Sui

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 am

'Avatar' looks to create a fan tribe that will carry on past the film

May 26, 2010 | 6:35 pm

"Avatar" is now the bestselling Blu-ray in the history of the format (although that's not all that long, truth be told) but one big reason is the jammed-to-the-gills quality of the images and sound on the take-it-home version.

"Avatar," obviously, was created to be seen on a theater screen, and in 3D. So the transition to home video was a challenging one — and, on top of that, writer-director James Cameron is a world-class perfectionist. For both those reasons, every bit of disc room was dedicated to a meticulously transferred version of the film and it shows in clarity, visual punch and the richness of imagery.

Avatar bluray The trade-off, though, was a pricey disc that comes with no extras at all. The disc doesn't even have trailers or advertisement of any kind (a fact that must have distressed an executive or two at Fox since the promotional real estate on the bestselling Blu-ray of all time is clearly a commodity). It was an admirable decision, really, but today's consumers are accustomed to extras and their first reaction when they don't see any is to think they're getting a cut-rate product.

To fill the gap, the folks at Fox Home Video and on Cameron's team (which is, ultimately, led by Oscar-winning producer Jon Landau and Cameron himself) have created the elaborate website AvatarMovie.com, where you can access those extras on-line and, with a code you get by purchasing an "Avatar" DVD or Blu-ray, access even more content and a sense of community. The code leads the way to "first-look bonus materials, special content, money-saving offers and more," as Fox puts it. Also, only those fans who register for "The Avatar Program" with that code will be able to adopt a seedling among the 1 million trees being planted as part of the film's Earth Day initiative (adoption comes with "a virtual hometree" that locates your adopted tree on a map).

I'd be interested to hear what Hero Complex readers think of the quality of the offerings on the website but more than that what your view is on the idea of creating something akin to an "Avatar" community. "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" have each became the axis of vast tribal followings (with some factions treating it as a quasi-religion) but other "visionary" sci-fi franchises ("The Matrix" springs to mind) live on as great moments in film but don't become pop-culture movements. "Avatar" certainly stirred some obsessive behavior but, a decade from now, will there be conventions dedicated to Cameron's universe? A lot depends on that alien-oceans sequel, I'd say...

James Cameron on 'Avatar': 'It's my most personal film'

Post  SuiGeneris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 am

James Cameron on 'Avatar': "It's my most personal film"

Los Angeles Times reporter John Horn is one of the top journalists covering Hollywood and he recently sat down with five directors --- James Cameron, Kathryn Bigelow, Quentin Tarantino, Lee Daniels and Jason Reitman -- and conducted a fascinating round table discussion. You can find video snippets of it at our sister blog 24 Frames -- but here are two intriguing excerpts from "Avatar" writer and director Cameron, who may be the king of the world (again) on Oscar night.

James Camerron as Navi Cameron on a beloved scene that just didn't make the cut...

It was an epiphanal scene for me when I was writing the script, and when I wrote it, I actually kind of welled up myself. It’s a scene at the end where the warrior that Jake has had to prove himself to, Tsu’tey, the guy that’s ... keeping him out of the clan and the whole Na’vi experience, is dying after the battle ... Jake goes to him and he hands him the baton of leadership and says, “You have to lead the people,” as he’s dying. Very, very powerful, emotional scene and again, the rhythm — it just messed with the rhythm of the ending. It just felt like there was one dramatic beat too many...

It had to come out completely, and that was the one scene that we finished all the way through the [special effects] Weta process because nobody could imagine the scene not being in the movie. Nobody. All the effects people came to me and said, “I can’t believe you’re cutting Tsu’tey’s death.” They were all invested in the scene. So, I actually had it out and I put it back in ... Then it got right down to the end where the final decision had to be made and I said, "No, it’s coming out."

Cameron on the fact that "Avatar" is a truly personal film...

It’s hard to visualize “Avatar” maybe from the outside as a personal film, but to me in a funny way from my perspective, it’s my most personal film because it so accurately reflects my childhood — as a kid who was both an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy and comic books and constantly conjuring all these images in my head before there were VCRs and I could just watch any movie any time I wanted ...

There was very little imagery out there at the time. You had to make it up yourself, and as an artist I was always drawing all these things, so all the stuff in “Avatar” was stuff I had been drawing for years as a teenager ... And then as a scuba diver sort of discovering the endless bounty of nature’s imagination underwater, which is really, ultimately, almost unfathomable. So “Avatar” is all of that, all sort of distilled down into one movie. The story was written 15 years ago, and certainly there was a strong environmental consciousness then ... but it’s obviously on our minds a lot more now as this sense of a coming day of reckoning ... that we really have to deal with this.

-- John Horn

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/

Na'vi Palestinian Protest in Bilin!!

Post  SuiGeneris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 am

Na'vi Palestinian Protest in Bilin!!

heart glitter

James Cameron: The 'Avatar' sequel will dive into the oceans of Pandora

Post  SuiGeneris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 am

Luminescent Underwater World in 3D!!!

James Cameron finally gave us a direct answer on what to expect with the Avatar sequel...

"The 'Avatar' sequel will dive into the oceans of Pandora"

On Thursday, which is Earth Day, Fox will release "Avatar" on DVD and Blu-ray, but James Cameron says a longer version of the film will be back in theaters in August -- and that the franchise will return with a seagoing sequel. Hero Complex contributor Patrick Kevin Day recently spoke with the filmmaker.

PD: Will we see an "Avatar" theatrical re-release this summer?

JC: We’re working on finishing an additional six minutes of the film -- which includes a lot of Weta work -- for a theatrical re-release in August. We were sold out of our Imax performances right up to the moment until they were contractually obligated to switch to “Alice in Wonderland,” so we know we left money on the table there. And the 3-D really helped “Avatar” right up until the moment that it hurt it. And it hurt it at the moment “Alice” and then “How to Train Your Dragon” and “Clash of the Titans” came in and sucked up all the 3-D screens. We went from declining 8% a week to declining 50%. Clearly, it wasn’t market forces directly; it was the availability of theaters. So we’re going to wait until there’s a time to come back in, inject the new footage into the mix and see if we can interest people in the “Avatar” experience in theaters.

Avatar bluray It’ll be interesting because it’ll be on DVD by then, but I think “Avatar” is kind of a unique category where people are enjoying the unique theatrical experience even though they may have seen it on the small screen. They want to have that immersive, transportive experience. “2001: A Space Odyssey” played for three years at the Loews cinema in Toronto. I remember that. It just kept playing. People wanted to return to that experience. That may not be the best example because I think “2001” took 25 years to break even.

PD: What goes through your mind when you hear that officials in China changed the name of a peak in Zhangjiajie peak to Avatar Hallelujah Mountains or that Palestinian protesters are dressing as Na’vi?

Navi protester
    JC: I think it’s really interesting that these people see their reality reflected in the movie. And of course this is what’s caused all of these [environmental] groups to come to us and say, “Can you help us? Can we do fundraising? Can you help with awareness? Can we associate our website? Can we link to ‘Avatar'?" All of these things. Right now, my challenge is to orchestrate this in a way that “Avatar” can continue to do some good. I think the movie itself is reaching people all over the world, which it clearly did by the amount of money it made. It created a sense of an emotional response to this environmental crisis and I think it even may have made it an emotional call to action. The next step is people need to know what to do -- what do I specifically do in my life next so that I don’t feel helpless and powerless.

PD: Does it change your outlook as a creator of entertainment?

JC: Well, I think it makes certain projects that I liked as potential films seem trivial by comparison. I think it makes the idea of making another “Avatar” film more attractive. Because not only is it good business, but it’s good for the environment. I think every model we should use in evaluating any environmental project moving forward should be: Is it good business and is it good for the environment? Because there’s this idea promoted by the right and by special interest groups that you have to choose. You can either have a strong economy or you can help the environment, but you can’t do both at the same time. That’s ridiculous. In fact, as a sustainable vision for a healthy economy has to involve changing our energy policy and changing with respect to the natural world. Because we’re hitting nature’s thresholds, we’re hitting nature’s limits with respect to water and crop yields and energy use and fossil fuels heating the atmosphere at the same time we’re past global peak and running out of that. So we’ve got to change anyway. The people embracing the change earliest are the ones facing the most vigorous economies in 10, 20 years. The nation that leads in renewable energy will be the nation that leads the world 10, 20 years from now. And right now, based on current trends, that’s going to be China. We’re not in any way competing with China in terms of renewable energy. That’s where it shows the proof that you have to choose between economy or energy. China has clearly chosen economy at the expense of everything else with 8% GDP growth a year as a mantra and yet 60% of the solar panels in the world are made in China. They are the most aggressive leaders in the renewable energy sector. So clearly those two are going hand in hand.

PD: Is your interest moving from cinema toward public policy?

JC: Not specifically. Look, I’m an artist. I’m just going to be a big mouth and blather my opinions around, as artists are wont to do. That’s fine. In the particular case of “Avatar,” I found there’s a call to action and a sense of duty that’s emerged from it. It wasn’t my intention going into [the film] to do that. I figured I’d be on vacation right now. I figured I’d make my big statement with the movie and let everyone else sort out what to do. Turns out there aren’t that many people figuring out what to do. The leaders have been scared off, people of conscience in our leadership in Washington have been scared off by the right and the fossil fuel lobbies. They won’t even use the term "sustainability" or "climate change" in an energy bill, which is ludicrous on its face. It completely ignores the elephant in the room that we’re all dealing with. The average American doesn’t even believe climate change is real, they think it’s all a hoax. Two years ago, 50% of Americans thought climate change was real and thought it was human caused. Now we’re down to a third. That’s the work of a very well-funded campaign to create a climate of denial in the media. You’ve got to work against that. Here’s my philosophy in life: If there’s a fire, you put it out. If there’s a flood, you fill sandbags and you build a dike. You roll up your sleeves and you get to work. I think we’re facing that kind of crisis and I’m not going to stand around and leave it to someone else to deal with it.

James Cameron on Avatar set I tried [being a mogul]. It bores me. I don’t really want to produce other people’s movies. Because they’re either grown-up filmmakers like Steven Soderbergh or Kathryn Bigelow that didn’t really need me -- and I’ve produced both of them. It’s fun to sit around with them and be collegial, but they don’t need me. They can make the film without me. Or it’s a new filmmaker starting out and I’ve got to hold their hand and lead them through the whole thing. I don’t get anything out of it in either one of those configurations. I don’t get anything out of putting my name on a movie as producer. It doesn’t do anything for me. I make my own stuff. There are tons and tons of other things I’m interested in that have nothing to do with movies or are documentary projects. So I pick my feature film battles very carefully. They’re going to be personal and they’re going to take a lot of my energy. I’m not going to be some big production company and be Jerry Bruckheimer or something like that. It doesn’t interest me.

PD: When you embark on your next film project, do you know what the challenge will be? Something on par with filming underwater for “The Abyss” or perfecting the performance capture technology in “Avatar”?

JC: Well you’ve already defined what the challenge will be on the next “Avatar” picture, which is to do what we did before at half the price and in half the time. Again, that’s an impossible goal, we won’t accomplish that, but if we can reduce by 25% in both categories, we’ll have really accomplished something. We know our methodology works. We also know it took two years to come up with. It didn’t even become efficient until the last two months of the production. So we were four years into a project before we had this machine running smoothly. So we take a snapshot of that moment in our production and say that’s what we look like on Day 1, we’re going to do better. Now, none of that has anything to do with coming up with a great story or great characters or great new settings and so on. That all is a given. That’s not to say that it’s done yet, it’s a given that we have to do that. But for me, the technical challenge is in improving the process having proved that it works.

We created a broad canvas for the environment of film. That’s not just on Pandora, but throughout the Alpha Centauri AB system. And we expand out across that system and incorporate more into the story – not necessarily in the second film, but more toward a third film. I’ve already announced this, so I might as well say it: Part of my focus in the second film is in creating a different environment – a different setting within Pandora. And I’m going to be focusing on the ocean on Pandora, which will be equally rich and diverse and crazy and imaginative, but it just won’t be a rain forest. I’m not saying we won’t see what we’ve already seen; we’ll see more of that as well.

PD: Are you still an avid science-fiction reader?

JC: No, not so much an avid science-fiction reader anymore. I probably spend more time writing than reading science fiction. I find that science-fiction literature is so reactive to all the literature that’s gone before that it’s sort of like a fractal. It’s gone to a level of detail that the average person could not possibly follow unless you’re a fan. It iterates upon many prior generations of iterations. The literature now is so opaque to the average person that you couldn’t take a science-fiction short story that’s published now and turn it into a movie. There’d be way too much ground work you’d have to lay. It’s OK to have detail and density, but if you rely on being a lifelong science-fiction fan to understand what the story is about, then it’s not going to translate to a broader audience. Actually, literary science fiction is a very, very narrow band of the publishing business. I love science fiction in more of a pop-culture sense. And by the way, the line between science fiction and reality has blurred a lot in my life doing deep ocean expeditions and working on actual space projects and so on. So I tend to be more fascinated by the reality of the science-fiction world in which we live. I read real science voraciously. I read science magazines. Lay science magazines. I don’t read science papers per se unless it’s been sent to me by a friend in the science community that they’re working on and is a subject that I’m conversant about. Like whether it’s the thickness of ice on Europa. Something specific. And if I need clarification on something, I can call the author and ask them. But generally speaking, I read Scientific American and Discover and Popular Science and that sort of thing.
    --Patrick Kevin Day
    Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com

James Cameron on 'Avatar': Like 'Matrix,' 'This movie is a doorway'

Post  SuiGeneris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:17 am

James Cameron on 'Avatar': Like 'Matrix,' 'This movie is a doorway'

GB: Jim, congratulations on the film, it’s very, very compelling. I'm excited to see it in its entirety and even more excited to talk to you about it.

JC: Well, thanks; I’m really glad you liked it. And that’s what we were hoping for. We’ve been working like crazy on this for a long time. And what we want is for people to like it, so that’s nice to hear.

GB: I have to say it was refreshing to see a big, special effects film that was not based on a bestselling novel, a comic book, toy, old television show. That’s rare these days, and it’s a treat to go in, sit down and have no idea where the plot and the characters were going to go.

JC: It’s simultaneously one of the great strengths and one of the potential weaknesses. We have no brand value. We have to create that brand value. “Avatar” means something to that group of fans that know this film is coming, but to the other 99% of the public it’s a nonsense word and we have to hope we can educate them. Well, I shouldn’t say a nonsense word – it doesn’t mean anything specific in terms of a brand association. And in fact there may be even a slight negative one because more people know about the Saturday morning cartoon, the anime, than about this particular film. We’ve got to create that [brand] from scratch. On the other hand, ultimately, it is probably the film’s greatest strength in the long run. We’ve had these big, money-making franchise films for a long time, “Star Trek” and “Star Wars,” you know, “Harry Potter,” and there’s a certain sort of comfort factor in that; you know what you’re going to get. But there’s no kind of shock of the new that’s possible with that. It’s been a while since something that took us on a journey, something that grabbed us by the lapels and dragged us out the door and took us on a journey of surprise.

GB: “The Matrix” immediately springs to mind…

JC: Yes, yes, that’s a very, very good example. That’s something where we had no real way of knowing what that film was going to be about and it really just took us on a great ride.

GB: And like “The Matrix,” this movie presents this immersive experience. The alien world and the technology you’re using to tell the story, it’s a big movie.

JC: The story is told very much from character. You go on Jake’s journey with him. It actually starts quite small. It starts close to him, in his apartment with him, and it just expands and expands in scope as it goes along.

GB: I smiled at the “You’re not in Kansas anymore" line when the main character reaches the alien world. There really is this “Wizard of Oz” sense of transportation when the story reaches the planet of Pandora.

JC: Yeah. It’s my favorite movie; I had to get it in there somewhere. The production designer was Rick Carter, who actually played that out. He thought how it was, in some ways, like Dorothy’s journey. I didn’t quite get as much of that [when I first wrote it]. You do things sometimes as a writer subconsciously, things you’re not even aware of. I’m always comfortable doing things instinctively because I see it as taping into this vein of archetype that works for a broader audience base. I don’t question what I’m doing if it feels right. There might be some other references there I might not be aware of.

GB: You wrote the first script for this film almost 15 years ago. While you were waiting for technology to reach the point where it could be made, I’m curious how much of that very earliest story remained intact.

JC: I had to rework to make it possible. My treatment was so expansive and novelistic that it needed to be necked down just to make it something that could be done on the screen. This film is done on an epic scale, but it's done within the parameters of a Hollywood movie. What I found is that instead a script I had written the outline of a novel, and it was just too much story, too much back story, too many secondary characters … but look, sometimes lightning just strikes; you have write everything down, get it done. Better to weed it out later and not miss an idea. It was essentially the longest script, in terms of the amount of time it took me to get a workable draft. The first time I tried, it ended up being more than 200 pages, so I had to go back and throw out big chunks, a lot of ideas went out. But I have to say the essence of all the big ideas stayed and I felt pretty good about that.

GB: The heritage of the project and the mystery of it, since it’s not an adaptation, have created this fairly intense interest among the fanboy sector. That was obvious with the interest leading up to Comic-Con International. Do you feel you have to win fans over now to create the sort of success you want for this movie?

JC: I think there are no real negatives because we aren’t going to get prejudged like “Watchmen” or even a Batman or Spider-Man movie because you don’t have all that history and that huge, brand-based mythology that you have to live up to. We aren’t going to piss anybody off because they don’t know what this thing is. Nobody read the novel, nobody read the graphic novel, we’re not going to be playing against expectation. They aren’t going to be viewing us as a disappointment or letdown before the movie even starts. This is a doorway and they don’t know what’s on the other side. We’re going to open it for them.

There are a lot of fans of this kind of science fiction and fantasy film, and I think it's pretty fertile soil for us. I don’t want to sound like, you know, ‘Pride goeth before the fall,” or too much hubris, but I think we get those fans to support this. I think our greater challenge is the wider public, which isn’t as predisposed to embrace the movie like those fantasy and sci-fi fans. We need to talk to that audience and make them believe that this is a must-see even if they aren’t sci-fi fans. And I’m not putting down Comic-Con fans. When I go down there I’m among my peeps. It’s a great place to unveil “Avatar.”

-- Geoff Boucher

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com

Post  SuiGeneris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:39 am

"Avatar Hallelujah Mountain"
    China Renames Mountain After James Cameron's Film

Sui

Reclaiming Pandora

Post  SuiGeneris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 am

Reclaiming Pandora!!

“Learn well, Jakesully. We will see if your
    insanity can be cured.”

Kaltxi one and all!

This is my rather late philosophical exploration of Avatar, the James Cameron film that has become a worldwide phenomenon...

Months before the film's release, most of us had heard the story behind the story. We knew Cameron had conceived Avatar well over a decade ago. We knew he had to wait years for technology to catch up with the visions conjured by his imagination. We'd heard again and again how this promised to be a lavish, epic 3-D experience, a panoramic digital painting of an alien world with a level of detail previously unheard of.

As the hype began to build, trailers surfaced online, and hushed presentations premiered on the convention circuits. We soon learned that the film centered around a paraplegic Marine named Jake Sully, and took place a hundred and fifty years into a grim future. With the Earth's resources almost exhausted, a mega-corporation known as the RDA had found a new world to plunder, though it was light years away.

Calling upon Sully to take his late twin brother's place, the RDA brought him into their Avatar program. On a beautiful, rich moon named Pandora, he became an avatar of the native humanoids who lived there. Known as the Na'vi, these exotic, ten-foot tall blue aboriginals reluctantly agreed to train Sully in their ways. Though originally sent to infiltrate the peaceful tribe, he soon falls for a striking Na'vi called Neytiri, experiences a profound connection with the wondrous forests of Pandora, and predictably questions his own loyalties.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Though the most expensive movie ever made, Avatar eventually spun box office gold. It is now the most successful movie of all time, earning over two billion dollars worldwide, and even eclipsing Titanic at the box office. It was nominated for a handful of Academy Awards, and won three of them. It was also a significant critical success, though some have argued its story is somewhat clichéd and its themes are one-dimensional.

I had hotly anticipated the film's release, poring over the trailers and even buying the art book and the soundtrack ahead of time. Still, after that first midnight showing, I'd felt like some of the critics. The visuals were undeniably spectacular, the music was stunning, and the direction was exciting and imaginative. Nonetheless, the story and the script had seemed very one-note to me, not really providing the depth my analytical mind enjoys feasting on. What was worse, at times the film felt more like a static political allegory, and less like the grand, multi-layered myth I'd been expecting.

To be sure, Avatar has generated a fair amount of political controversy. While the left has not been without criticism, the right has been particularly adamant about chastising the film. Rightly or wrongly, they have seen it as attacking capitalism, criticizing the war on terror, and clobbering unwitting audiences with an aggressive environmental message.

For me, the film unarguably contained two or three lines of overt political dialogue, and they hindered my enjoyment during that initial showing. While my concerns are most certainly with humanity as well as with our planet, I cannot help but shrink away from the political side of things. Not only do I personally find politics divisive, unintelligent, and consistently playing to the lowest common denominator, more often than not, it seems real issues are hijacked and become little more than fodder for campaign platforms.

Whether I personally agree or disagree with Cameron's political sympathies is beside the point, because as far as I'm concerned, politics themselves are beside the point. The sometimes smug, usually fevered politicizing of environmental issues is something of a minor tragedy. After all, even though the right and left wings live in different worlds, they do share the same planet. Unfortunately all both sides do now is engage in territorial threat displays, flashing their colored crests at each other like massive Pandoran Hammerhead Titanotheres. And in the process kick up so much dust no one can see a thing.

As the poet William Blake said, politics seemed to him to be "something other than human life," and human life is what this blog is exploring. Particularly how we experience that life, and how that experience informs our relationship with everything else.

That sort of thing really appeals to me, though I didn't see much of it in Avatarthe first time. But I was still interested, and so I sat back and watched as the film grew into an unstoppable phenomenon. Clearly, it was resonating with audiences, and with some of them on that deep, mythic level I'd expected and wanted. So much so that many even felt empty and depressed when they had to walk out of the theaters and into our own troubled world.

Happily, someone convinced me to go see it again, and I enjoyed it considerably more the second time around. Things started clicking for me, as if the story had been waiting to gel. Then I finally dropped my preconceptions altogether, and went to see it a third time alone. I was transported even more this time, and it became a magical movie-going experience. Now I own the Blu-Ray, and the visual quality remains utterly stunning.

After immersing myself in it, I can honestly there is much to love in Avatar. I love the story, the characters, and even much of the dialogue. I love the creatures, the fauna, and the entire moon of Pandora. Most of all, I love the Na'vi culture, especially the Omaticaya tribe we as the audience are initiated into. In the end, they taught me about as much as they did Jake Sully, at least as far as appreciating the film goes.

Undeniably, Avatar provides a very visceral experience for film-goers. The 3-D practically envelops the theater on a good day, and one can almost swim in the spectacle of the bioluminescent forests at night. Connection is a big theme in the film, and it is easy to connect with the action here. Alongside Jake Sully's avatar, audiences can thunder along with mighty, six-legged direhorses, skate over the uppermost branches of the primordial trees, and soar through the air on enormous, four-winged mountain banshees.

Not to mention simply sitting back and savoring the majesty of the floating Hallelujah Mountains.

But what struck me most of all, what freed the film from any and all political commentary and opened it up to considerable philosophical interpretation, was one simple line. When it was being decided whether Sully would be taught the ways of the Omaticaya tribe, Neytiri's mother Mo'at was interested in one thing, and one thing only.

Mo'at wanted to know if Jake Sully's "insanity can be cured." And by extension, the insanity afflicting the whole of humanity. Now this was something I could philosophically sink my teeth into.

For some time, it has seemed a distinct possibility to me that modern human beings feel, interpret, and experience reality - and really our very existence - in an utterly dissociative, almost schizophrenic way. The reasons for this are complicated, but much of it boils down to the nature of our self-conscious minds. With the ability to endlessly intellectualize, to conjure up concepts and ideas about life, we have lost much of our basic connection to life. We are trained to live in a commentary on reality, rather than in reality itself. This handicap is in no small measure the reason for both our estrangement from nature, as well as our often destructive technological relationship to it.

In his wonderful book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig looks back over the history of the Western World and comes to the same basic conclusion. Investigating the underpinnings of modern civilization, the narrator even remarks -

And now he began to see for the first time the unbelievable magnitude of what man, when he gained the power to understand and rule the world in dialectical truths had lost. He had built empires of scientific capability to manipulate the phenomena of nature into enormous manifestations of his own dreams of power and wealth - but for this he had exchanged an empire of understanding of equal magnitude: an understanding of what it is to be a part of the world, and not an enemy of it.

And indeed, Avatar was saying much the same thing. No cinematic creation in recent memory is more a part of their world than the Na’vi, and they even reflected on the impossibility of teaching someone who’s "cup is already full.”

This is of course evocative of a modern mind filled to the brim with so many ideas and preconceptions it can no longer process anything else, much in the same way that an RDA executive is so convinced the real wealth of Pandora is in the market value of Unobtanium rather than in the spiritual wonder of the moon itself.

It is a mentality that has no problem crashing through grove after grove of sacred trees with massive construction vehicles just for another wad of money, an artificial symbol of wealth. It is a mentality that likewise kills Jake's brother, a living, breathing human being, for nothing but "the paper in his wallet." The Na'vi princess Neytiri provides a stunning counterpoint to this when she mourns and prays over the pack of viper-wolves she had to kill in order to save Jake, addressing them as brothers and sisters.

The point of this essay is that scenes like this have absolutely nothing to do with politics, nor can they simply be chalked up to unrestrained corporate greed. They have to do with the institutionalized cultural insanity that has nurtured and developed such a mentality both in the fictional arena of the film, as well as in our own reality. What we are dealing with is a psychological fracture in the way human consciousness has evolved, a neurological divide between the holistic right side of the brain and the hopelessly analytical left, and the way that schism dictates how we view the world. No matter how many plastic bags we recycle or how eco-friendly our corporations become, it is very likely no fundamental change can occur until things are dealt with on this existential level.

As Einstein said, you cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it, and there is no indication whatsoever that politics is capable or even interested in exploring deeper issues. On the contrary, a political mind is one of the fullest cups on the planet, and if human beings are ever to "see" life the way the Na'vi do, politics is probably the first thing that needs to be jettisoned.

This may be borderline heresy for some people, but the story is largely told from this point of view. When Neytiri takes Jake under her wing, and teaches him how to tease out the faintest "scents and sounds" of the forest, how to feel the "network of energy" that flows through all living things, and shows him to respect the "spirits of animals," she is not making political statements. This cannot be stressed enough.

The statement she is making has to do with a complete psychological orientation that values the unity of life over the isolation of the self-conscious ego. She brings him into full participation with the one life that the Na'vi see in all things, and she does so by hunting and swimming, chanting and flying, diving from tree branch to tree branch, and precariously using large leaves to slide down enormous heights. As Jake muses, with Neytiri, he has to "trust his body to know what to do," and that it's either "learn fast or die." She certainly doesn't break out pie charts and lecture him on the dangers of deforestation.

The Na'vi are able to live as they do because that is the way they interpret and mythologize their existence. They let nature speak for herself, specifically through the planetary neural consciousness they personify as the living goddess Eywa. One of the most fascinating things about their culture is that the spiritual has no identity separate from the material, and even their deity only serves the greater "balance of life."

Indeed, their religion consecrates everything they touch, so much so that the corporate executive Parker Selfridge complains that you can't drop a stick on the moon without "hitting some sacred fern." It is a spirituality that is about moving in harmony with nature, rather than perceiving it as something fallen or sinful, something that needs to be conquered and corrected.

But keep in mind, the Na'vi do not live this way to hammer home a political ideology, much less because they're environmentalists. It seems highly likely they would simply see environmentalism as another aspect of our insanity that needs to be cured, if for no other reason than a true Na'vi would never conceive of themselves as something separate from the environment to begin with!

Their entire existence speaks of connection, from the way they all form a network around someone who has been "reborn" into the Omaticaya tribe, the way their braided qeues allow them to essentially download their consciousness into that of other creatures, the way they mate for life under the trees of voices, and even the way in which they are cradled in cocoon-like beds by their beloved Hometree every night.

If the Na'vi are telling us anything, it is that we're going to have to come back to our senses. But if we're going to do that, we're first going to have to go out of our minds - or at least out of the endless narration going on in them that serves to cut us off from life's ebb and flow. Much like Jake Sully, humanity is going to have to learn to sink into the rhythms of nature again, to move with them as easily as branches seeking sunlight, and to foster a deep love and respect for them. In other words, we are all going to have to abandon our old wheelchairs and our old habits and our old mindsets, and learn to walk all over again.

It may be remarkably easy to forget in a world of traffic jams and skyscrapers, but human beings bloomed out of the rich fabric of nature as surely as any tree or flower. There is no fence with humanity on one side and nature on the other, no matter what our social systems or religions or philosophies or sciences may have sometimes argued. The reason Avatar resonates so deeply is because this primal connection with the entirety of nature, what the Na'vi call shahaylu, was also experienced by modern homo sapiens for the better part of the last 100,000 years. It's just the last few thousand that have been so rough.

Yet this natural bond is still direct and immediate, and can be experienced in the biological legacy of our own bodies. After all, our physical organisms are ecosystems of marvelous intricacy and intelligence in their own right, with river systems of veins and arteries and vast root networks of neurons and dendrites. The deep organic wisdom that the Na'vi revere as Eywa is surely the same as the natural patterns that grow our bones, color our hair, animate our limbs, and beat our hearts. We continually miss it because we regard intelligence as something that exists almost solely behind the eyes and between the ears, as if we get in our bodies and drive them around, not unlike the mercenary Colonel Quaritch in his mechanized AMP suit.

Keep in mind this identity with all of life is not, as Dr. Grace Augustine pointed out in the film, "some pagan voodoo." That we are intimately connected to everything around us is evident in the genetic history of every cell in our bodies, starting with the lineage of our parents, then our extended family, then our ancestors, and then into the animal kingdom, and finally into the entire planetary whole, including earth and air, sky and water. Our senses and nervous systems imbue our reality with light, smell, taste, sound, temperature, weight, and color, our bodies unconsciously playing the continuum of nature as a master pianist plays a piano.

But again, all of this has to do with states of consciousness and awareness, not red states versus blue ones. The Na'vi are raised to perceive life as an organic whole, whereas socialized human beings are largely hypnotized into seeing it as an assembled machine that can only be grasped through elaborate signs and symbols.

While it is true that such an orientation enables the humans in the world of Avatar to do amazing things like launch the enormous spaceship Venture Star and travel five light years to the Alpha Centauri system, it also inhibits them from understanding what Pandora truly is when they get there. As Pirsig pointed out, in this bargain we have lost what it means to be a part of the world in exchange for our ability to rule it through language, science, and mathematics.

The late great mythologist Joseph Campbell said it best -

But if you will think of ourselves as coming out of the earth, rather than having been thrown in here from somewhere else, you see that we are the earth, we are the consciousness of the earth. These are the eyes of the earth. And this is the voice of the earth.

The trick is simply feeling this to be so, to bring it into our awareness, even when everything around us is screaming the opposite.

In closing, this sort of orientation cannot really grow in an atmosphere of divisive politics, ecological sermonizing, or doom-laden warnings concerning climate change. Quite frankly, the average individual has really no control over such things anyway, aside from the usual self-congratulatory feelings that one might derive from pointing accusatory fingers at the other side.

One has the choice of growing depressed over this, or simply embracing the one thing they do have control over, namely their own awareness of the world around them. There is nothing whatsoever that prevents any of us from teasing out our own connections to life, to see nature, our relationships, our bodies, and ourselves as something sacred.

We can take to heart the words of our own William Blake when he suggested, "Arise and drink your bliss, for everything that lives is holy."

In the end, we know what saved Jake Sully. In his own words, he simply "fell in love." Even moreso than his apotheosis under the Tree of Souls, that was his redemption, the maturing of his own hero's journey. And it seems fair to speculate that he fell in love not only with the Omaticaya People, and the forests of Pandora, and of course Neytiri, but with life itself. His world wasn't saved through fear, guilt, or angry protests, but rather through love. Love was what taught him to truly "see," to open his heart to a much broader and richer life experience, and to be able to take a deep breath and simply sink into the sheer wonder and beauty that is existence.

No doubt love can do the same for us and, if it does, then we can rest assured this wonderful planet we all call home is more than capable of taking care of itself.

So Kiyevame, and may Mother smile on your path!

Written by Dedalus Enterprises Monday, 26 April 2010 14:03

http://dedalusenterprises.blogspot.com

I found this article very insightful and inspiring!!

Much Love,

Xeia heart glitter

USC professor creates an entire alien language for 'Avatar'

Post  SuiGeneris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:00 pm

USC professor creates an entire alien language for 'Avatar'

Professor Paul Frommer discusses the Na'vi language

James Cameron has big aspirations for "Avatar," and here at Hero Complex we're stepping up with some epic coverage plans: a 30-day countdown. Today's topic: The USC professor who found himself on an unexpected Hollywood adventure when he was hired to create the language spoken by aliens on Cameron's distant planet of Pandora.

This modern era of moviemaking has plenty of peculiar challenges for actors -- on green-screen sets, for instance, they have to watch a ping-pong ball hanging from a string and convince the camera that they actually staring down some magical beastie -- but for the actors auditioning for "Avatar" the biggest challenge may have been reading a sheet of paper with words invented by a USC professor named Paul R. Frommer.

Frommer, a linguistics specialist, was brought in by "Avatar" writer-director James Cameron to create an entire functioning language for the tribe of 10-foot-tall blue aliens who inhabit Pandora, the setting for the film's conflict. Frommer tackled the project with glee -- "How often do you get an opportunity like this?" -- but the actors who had bend their tongues around the invented vocabulary and syntax were slightly less charmed by the experience.

"Oh, it was so hard and I was really concerned about it," said Zoe Saldaña, who portrays an alien named Neytiri in the sci-fi adventure that opens in theaters Dec. 18. "I didn't think I could get through it. I'm not good with languages. All the actors, we worked together. It was the only way."

Frommer has spent four years laboring on the language of the Na'vi tribe and his work will not end on the day of the film's release. He plans to keep expanding the language until he's, well, blue in the face.

"I'm still working and I hope that the language will have a life of its own," the professor said. "For one thing, I'm hoping there will be prequels and sequels to the film, which means more language will be needed. I spent three weeks in May, too, working on the video game for Ubisoft, which is the name of a French company. That's not a French word, though, I don't know where they got Ubisoft."

Frommer is clearly delighted by his unexpected excursion into the Hollywood dream factory, which has the buttoned-down academic working side-by-side with movie stars and hobnobbing with an Oscar-winning director of Cameron's stature. Sitting on a concrete bench near the bustling center of USC campus, he recounted his Tinseltown labors with verve; the only time a hint of disappointment crept into his voice was when he explained that his alien language was limited by the terran larynxes of Sam Worthingon, Saldaña, CCH Pounder and other cast members who spoke the Na'vi language.

"The constraint, of course, is that the language I created had to be spoken by humans," Frommer said. "I could have let my imagination run wild and come up with all sorts of weird sounds, but I was limited by what a human actor could actually do."

Between the scripts for the film and the video game, Frommer has a bit more than 1,000 words in the Na'vi language, as well as all the rules and structure of the language itself. "I'm adding to that all the time," said Frommer, who says he would like to see the new tongue catch on in the way that Klingon has become a studied language among especially, um, engaged fans of "Star Trek."

"Oh, I'm very aware of Klingon," Frommer said the way a sports coach might analyze a rival with a long winning tradition. "It was created by a linguist [named Marc Okrand] and it is very, very well put together. I actually once developed a problem for students in analysis using data from Klingon. When I started working on this, though, I deliberately did not look at Klingon so I wouldn't be unconsciously influenced by it."

Frommer's fondest wish is that the language takes off and that fans of the film use the Internet and conventions to spread the sound of Pandora. "It's definitely doable for people, and so many people have learned Klingon, so there could be an interest," he said. To some ears, Klingon sounds like a cross between Russian and crawfish, but the Na'vi language is far more gentle on the ear. "Cameron wanted something melodious and musical, something that would sound strange and alien but smooth and appealing."

Frommer is a linguist by trade and got his PhD at USC, but after he finished his doctorate he left acadmeia for the business world. "I really wanted to teach, though, and came back." He ended up on the faculty of the Center for Management Communication at the Marshall School of Business and teaching in the area of clinical management communication -- but he concedes that, deep down, his true love is still for language and pure linguistics.

James Cameron and Sam Worthington on Avatar When "Avatar" producer Jon Landau and his company, Lightstorm, approached the linguistics department at USC with Cameron's proposition about creating an extraterrestrial tongue, the request quickly found its way to Frommer, who had once collaborated on a workbook that collected data from 30 languages.

"The e-mail that came my way that said they were looking for someone who could create an alien language for a major motion picture directed by James Cameron, but the name of the project at that time was Project 880," Frommer said. "As soon as I saw that e-mail I pounced on it."

Frommer didn't start completely from scratch; Cameron had come up with about three dozen words of the Na'vi language at that point in his project document, which was like a quasi-script or a long treatment ("They called it a scriptment," Frommer said, "and that was a new word to me") but most of the words were character names.

"It gave me a sense of the sound that he was looking for and then I expanded it. Given these sounds and the possible combinations, what further structure could I bring to the sound to make it interesting," Frommer said. "That was the starting point. Probably the most exotic thing I added were ejectives, which are these sorts of popping sounds that are found in different languages from around the world. It's found in Native American languages and in parts of Africa and in Central Asia, the Caucasus. "

Frommer prepared three "sound palettes," which were collections of words and phrases that did not have meaning but did have the cadence and feel of languages. Cameron mulled over the sound files and picked the third as the best fit for the world he wanted to hear. He did not want tonal differences and variations in vowel length, for instance, but he loved the ejectives.

Then came the heavy lifting -- nailing down the sound system, word construction, the rule of syntax -- and Frommer immersed himself in the thousands of decisions required, many of them deciding what goes in and what goes out. The Na'vi language, for instance, does not have the sounds buh, duh, guh, chu, shu, and by restricting the sounds, Frommer said, a characteristic shape of the language begins to distinguish itself.

James Cameron on avatar set "If you allow everything and the kitchen sink, you get a mishmash, it sounds like gibberish," Frommer said. "An analogy is cooking and deciding how you are going to spice up a certain dish. If you put everything you have on the shelf, you get a mess. If you are judicious you get something good. In language, sometimes things are defined by the absences."

The finished product sounds, to some ears, vaguely Polynesian, while others hear the rhythms of African languages in it. "Someone said it sounded German to them, someone else told me Japanese, and I think that's good. If everyone were saying one single language then it would be bad," Frommer said.

Frommer worked with the actors at the studios of dialect coach Carla Meyer, whose credits include all three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, "Angels & Demons" and "Erin Brockovich" as well as "Air Force One," in which she helped Gary Oldman shape his hijacker's Eastern European accent. Frommer was impressed with the actors' intensity of focus.

"I was surprised they all did very well, and it gave me hope, too, that other people will try to learn it and speak it," Frommer said. "I'm excited because there is going be a Pandora-pedia online and a lot of material for people to learn more about the planet. There's this incredible devotion to detail. It's been fascinating to me. It's almost academic in its approach."

Frommer finds himself walking the campus sidewalks and talking to himself in the language. He has attempted to write poetry, too. It wouldn't be surprising if some of his couplets were forlorn -- it's lonely being the only person speaking a language. "I just wish," he said, "that I had someone to talk to."

-- Geoff Boucher

http://www.learnnavi.org/

heart glitter

Post  SuiGeneris on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 am

I love this soundtrack!

Enjoy!!

Xeia heart glitter

Post  SuiGeneris on Wed May 18, 2011 4:38 am

Avatar ~ American Terrorists Invade a New World

By URI DOWBENKO

It’s 2154, and American Terrorism has been totally privatised. In fact, it has become the undisputed enforcement arm of the criminal plutocracy on Planet Earth. In other words, the future is just like today – except the terrorists have gone off-planet and expanded their field of prey.

In Avatar, the plutocracy of Planet Earth needs more resources, so American ex-military mercenaries are sent to rape-and-pillage a planet called Pandora for its so-called “unobtainium.”

By the way, “unobtainium” is a Real World term for valuable rare-earth metals like neodymium, terbium, dysprosium, lanthanum, yttrium and thulium. They are currently used for weapons, as well as digital cameras, computers, Priuses, and iPhones.

In fact, according to the UK’s Daily Mail, industries that rely on “unobtainium” are estimated to be worth an astonishing 3 trillion pounds (US$4.5 trillion), or 5% of global GDP. Thus, wars and invasions of other planets are completely plausible as a possible Real World future scenario.

Meanwhile, the movie shows that the use of ex-military burn-outs, the de facto storm troopers in Avatar, is a clear signal that the United States has finally become the “Evil Empire” of Star Wars fame, exporting its brand of terrorism to yet-unconquered worlds.

The movie also riffs on past colonial adventurism by the US, as well as British, Spanish, French and Belgian invaders, especially the exploitation of natural resources in Africa and South America and its attendant genocide of indigenous peoples. Avatar then is a realistic dramatisation of the ruthless behaviour of out-of-control sociopaths, hell-bent on destroying a civilisation they have judged to be “inferior” and the inhabitants they have decided are “subhuman.”

Thus, the predatory virus and the agenda of rape-and-pillage technology have been exported from Planet Earth to create more mischief in other parts of the universe.

The characters of Avatar are typically stock figures, bordering on caricature, and the plot is so simple that even a three-year old could follow it, says director, screenwriter and producer Jim Cameron, according to published reports. Cameron steals from himself, combining memes from Terminator, Dark Angel, etc. in a kind of recombinant mythology that has struck a powerful and resonant chord throughout the world.

The protagonist is Jake (Sam Worthington), a gung-ho disabled vet who gets his dead brother’s job. As an “avatar,” he has to navigate a custom-made 10-foot tall body in order to “live” with the indigenous blue-skinned race called the Na’avi. When the locals are called “blue monkeys” by the invaders, contemporary racist jargon gets catapulted off-planet and back to the future.

The word “avatar,” of course, implies an online persona that can navigate the virtual realities and cyberspace, as well as a religious messiah or saviour in Hindu theology.

(Can Jake – the All-American White-Bread Saviour – save the Na’avi from destruction? Of course he can. Where else could a Hollywood formula movie plot go?)

So in his Na’avi blue avatar-body, Jake meets a blue girl called Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) who just like Pocahontas – just imagine – teaches him about living in harmony with nature and the invisible forces that sustain Pandora. And Jake, just like Dances with Wolves, goes “native,” as he bonds with the blue people and falls in love with the blue girl.

Because his crippled body restricts his physical movement in his “waking” life, Jake loves to use his Na’avi body and begins to experience his virtual blue-body life as the “Real Thing,” instead of the other way around.

The question for Jake becomes – which world does he prefer to live in? Then it’s a choice for him – just like the gamers who are so obsessed with online “living” – which reality or virtual reality is better?

At the same time Jake makes a deal to be an informer for Col. Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang), the head of the privatised military-security and the most zealous practitioner of the rape-and-pillage mindset. Quaritch is the embodiment of the evil corporate-military invader and a ruthless enforcer for the Ruling Corporate Empire which has gone off-planet to exploit other worlds.

In his naïveté, Jake believes he can “save” the Na’avi from the coming slaughter planned by the corporate killers, but finds out that he has been betrayed once again. Just as he was in the Marines. (Does that mean military guys have a slow learning curve?)

After all, the mining company just wants the valuable minerals and doesn’t care about a tribe of primitive “blue monkeys.” As always, brainwashing mind-control must convince its subjects (state-sanctioned military would-be killers) that the so-called “enemy” is “sub-human” and therefore open to slaughter. However, it’s too much for him to endure, so Jake goes “off the reservation,” as they say, switches sides, disobeys his orders and begins fighting on behalf of the Na’avi.

Other stock characters include Sigourney Weaver as a scientist who wants to “study” the Na’avi and communicate with them, but like the intellectual prostitutes who work for the Pentagon-NSA-ETC Complex, she remains just another pawn in their extra-planetary game.

Another character you love to hate is Jonathan Ribisi, who plays the heartless corporate honcho. He tackles his “task” of genocide and ecocide with a “missionary” zeal, just like the gofers (a.k.a. employees) of Blackwater, DynCorp, KBR and other Vulture Capitalist Corporations with government insider deals.

The final battle for Pandora, its natural resources and the metaphysical power-source of the planet centred in a primordial Tree of Life which is the embodiment of their ancestors’ wisdom, takes Avatar to a spectacular finish – and the obligatory third final battle sequence.

The fun continues as Jim-Cameron-as-god creates fantastic creatures like hammer-head buffalos, friendly reptilians and sentient jellyfish who help the local blue people defend their planet from the “alien” humans.

In an archetypal Hollywood happy ending, the local blue people survive and the humans are “the aliens [who] went back to their dying world.” That’s about as happy as it gets – when you’re dealing with real raw issues of genocide, nasty behaviour and other evil.

It should be noted that Jim Cameron’s innate ability to tap into the Deep Subconscious of the planet produced the pop culture remix version of the sinking of Atlantis, a.k.a. the movie Titanic.

The Deeper Significance of Avatar

More insights into this global phenomenon can be gleaned from astrologer Barbara Hand Clow, author of indispensable books like The Mayan Code: Time Acceleration and Awakening the World Mind and Alchemy of Nine Dimensions: Decoding the Vertical Axis, Crop Circles, and the Mayan Calendar.

Ms. Clow sees a deeper significance in the artistic and financial triumph of Avatar, writing, “… I said that spiritual transformations pushing us onto new evolutionary paths would be ‘drawing power from transcending our identity as warriors.’ I had no idea how we would see any of this until I saw Avatar soon after the Winter Solstice.” (www.handclow2010.com)

“This film is helping millions draw nurturing experiences from the past (Pandora as Eden), and it incites people, even militarists, to transcend warrior identity. I predict Avatar will continue to be shown again and again by popular demand because many people will see it two or three times…

“Consistently since last spring, spirituality and healing have been the central forces changing our lives under the influence of the potent Triple Conjunction-Jupiter/Chiron/Neptune in Aquarius. During this New Moon, finally Jupiter is moving past Chiron/ Neptune, the last pass of the Triple Conjunction.

“Under its influence, many of us have grown spiritually and faced a series of healing crises, and now we are like newborn beings. Avatar appeared during the culmination of the Triple Conjunction, which helps us see that our individual healing is actually a collective issue. Now that Jupiter is moving out of the Triple Conjunction, our individual initiations and healing crises will not be so monumental and overwhelming.”

And this impulse for genocide and ecocide – where did it come from?

It might sound like science fiction, but it’s considered to be the Gnostic understanding of the metaphysical realities of Planet Earth. Namely – an ideological off-planet virus morphed into the three ubiquitous religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, which have been used to divide, conquer and rule Terra for thousands of years through fear, intimidation and all those other reptilian stimulus-response mechanisms. [See “New (Reptilian) World Order” by Uri Dowbenko, New Dawn Special Issue 7.]

The Gnostics, by the way, were the losers in a war with Roman Christianity, a long-term focus of religious terrorism ensconced in the Vatican. And what was the Gnostics’ biggest mistake – and crime – and why were they annihilated? Because they dared to speak the Unspeakable, namely that the Christian “father-god” was not only an imposter, but also quite insane.

You can call him Yahweh. You can call him Jehovah. But the Gnostics identified him with the demented Archon Yaldabaoth, which they taught was the Judeo-Christian false god. In other words, if this “god” is telling you to do wacky things like kill those who don’t share your religious Belief System (B.S.), then there’s a good chance those “Gods Must Be Crazy.” And they are…

Therefore, it was not a very smart or politically correct move on the part of the Gnostics to point this out to the Christians. Nevertheless the Gnostics’ perspective on life is still worth examining because of its relevance today – namely their unique world-view and their model for the metaphysical realities of Planet Earth.

Religion and the Seeding of Death Culture

According to John Lamb Lash, author of Not in His Name: Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology and the Future of Belief, it was this Abrahamic legacy of religion which incorporates the fear of death that carries the virus.

Lash’s brilliant analysis of mythology, religion and power politics is at once self-empowering and enlightening. And just reading his interpretation of Gnostic cosmology and wisdom-science illuminates the heart and mind because it is the counter-program to the prevalent Death Culture on Earth.

Lash’s book is a must read for everyone who is interested in spiritual and metaphysical studies, and it remains the most important reinterpretation of history, mythology and religion from the Gnostic perspective.

So where did this human proclivity for “terrorism” come from? Lash writes that the Gnostics recognised its origin in the wacky philosophy of the apocalyptic cult called the Zaddikim.

“The Zaddikite sect of the Dead Sea presents the larval form of the global terrorist syndrome of today,” writes Lash, referring to the ancient scrolls found at Qumran as evidence, adding that, “the Zaddikite ideology found in the scrolls presents the ideological infrastructure of Christian religion.”

“That Qumran was an outpost for militants fighting to free Judea from Roman occupation and not a haven for hippie-like pacifists called Essenes, was information withheld from the public by a team of scrolls scholars controlled by the Vatican,” writes Lash.

In a story-line much stranger than science fiction, the “virus” would morph many more times until it became recognisable as present day “religion.”

“The core ideology of modern fundamentalist Christianity derives from the Zaddikim of the Dead Sea and not from mainstream Judaic religion,” Lash continues. “Resurrection in a physical form identical to the living body (contrasted to some kind of continuity of soul life), transport to heaven, intervention of God the Father in history, the battle against Cosmic Evil ending in Judgment Day, and divine retribution – all these beliefs reflect Zaddik, the superhuman standard.

“In the cult of righteousness led by Melchizedek, militant and mystical elements combined into a lethal explosive mix. The Zaddikim sect self-destructed by bringing down upon itself and the entire Jewish community the military might of the Roman Empire, but their program survived and mutated into what was to become Roman Christianity. The enemies of the system became the system.”

The irony of this history is deafening, while the apocalyptic theology and its dogma of final retribution rears its ugly head with every terrorist bombing or “preemptive” strike that kills, maims and tortures humanity on earth.

So why have “terrorism” and “religion” become so closely identified in contemporary life?

“In epidemiological terms, Christianity was the pandemic vector for the ideological virus of the Zaddikim belief system,” writes Lash. “…Over centuries patriarchy mutated into a religious system based on the four components of the redeemer complex. The sulfurous pathological core of the system is terror; terror before the father god who creates the world and commands its fate; terror for those who follow the Lord’s plan and those who do not; terror for the innocent victim tormented and dominated by the perpetrator; terror for the perpetrators who will be caught out and punished by God; …terror that drives human society to a final solution, the lethal madness of a species hell-bent on its own destruction… The belief that the world can be saved by destroying it exemplifies annihilation theology.”

The “religious” fervour of the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan bespeak of this theology of death that rules and dominates the planet.

Alien Trickster ‘Gods‘

Adding a bit more science (fiction) into his analysis, Lash asks – “Who is willing to consider that salvationist religion is an ideological virus insinuated in the human psyche by an alien species?”

Through first-hand experience and close encounters with UFO-ET tricksters they called Archons, the Gnostics understood the off-planet origin of the three redemptive Abrahamic religions.

So was our “Father Abraham” himself duped by “alien” tricksters?

Gnostics allowed the transmundane origin of redemptive religion – ‘Yaldabaoth himself chose a certain man named Abraham and made a covenant with him’ – but proposed a different way to view it. Yaldabaoth is the Demiurge, a.k.a. Yahweh-Jehovah, a demented pseudo-deity who works against humanity. This is the Lord Archon head of the legion of cyborgs…

“Demiurge” is defined by Lash as the leader of the Archons “who claims to be the creator of the material world and demands slavish obedience from his creatures,” but is actually a demented pretender or impostor who “can originate nothing but must imitate what already exists.” This might be an apt description of AI (Artificial Intelligence) and its future manifestations.

And what is the result of this religious Belief System, most notably exemplified by Christianity which awaits an extraplanetary saviour, who will come from the sky and make everybody feel high, to quote the late Bob Marley? “Salvation by superhuman powers, rather than through the divine potential innate to humanity and aligned with Sophia, is the hallmark of extraterrestrial religion,” Lash writes.

“Gnostics explicitly warned that the Archons work through salvationist religion, not to destroy us, however but to deviate us from our proper course of evolution… They do this, Gnostics claimed because they envy us. Archons lack both ennoia (singular intentionality) and epinoia (moral-creative imagination) and they want to have this specific endowment of ours, to assimilate or steal it. The diagnosis of Archontic intrusion conforms in many respects to reports of people who have encountered alien entities, especially the Grays and the Reptilians.”

According to Lash, the Gnostics also taught, “if evil arises from error when error runs beyond the scale of correction, we can nip evil in the bud by deepening our awareness of error. The Gospel of Philip says ‘Ignorance is the mother of all evil.’ In a lucid passage on error theory, the Gnostic master says: ‘So long as the root of wickedness is hidden, it is strong. But when it is recognised, it is dissolved. When it is revealed it perishes… As for ourselves, let us dig down after the root of evil which is within each of us and produces its fruit in our hearts. It masters us. We are its slaves. It takes us captive to make us do what we do not want and what we do want we do not do. It is powerful because we have not recognised it’.”

Lash writes that “the root of evil is human error, the mind mistaking itself. To defeat evil, we must unmask it by seeing its origin in the erring operations of our own minds.”

Origins of the Illuminati

The Gnostics also had a very plausible explanation for the origin of the so-called Illuminati, those behind-the-scenes puppet-masters and obsessive control freaks of society, who have been the de facto Ruling Class for thousands of years.

Lash explains that the Gnostics – or telestai as they called themselves – were initiates endowed with special knowledge in cosmological issues, who were actually “sophisticated shamans, past masters of ‘archaic techniques of ecstasy’.”

“As initiates of the Mysteries, behavioural manipulation, psychological programming and mind control were utterly repugnant to the genuine telestai of the ancient Mysteries,” writes Lash.

“Such procedures represented to them a path leading away from consecration to Sophia and the Great Work of co-evolving with nature, toward social engineering and personal power games. The goal of the telestai was to foster a sane and balanced society by helping individuals reach their peak potential, and never to interfere directly in social management.

“Over the course of time some initiates did take the path of social engineering. Dissident members of the Gnostic movement, who came to be known as ‘Illuminati,’ chose to use initiatory knowledge to develop and implement various techniques of behaviour modification. Their predecessors were known as the Magian order, an ancient Persian lineage of shamanism from which the Gnostic movement was derived…”

“Around 4000 BCE, with the rise of urban civilisation in the Near East, some members of the Magian order chose to apply certain secrets of initiation to statecraft and social engineering. They became the advisors to the first theocrats of the patriarchal nation-states, but in fact the advisors were running the show. Their subjects were systematically programmed to believe they were descended from the gods. The Illuminati inaugurated elaborate rites of empowerment or kingship rituals. These rituals were in fact methods of mind control exercised on the general populace through the collective symbology and mystique of royal authority.

“The intention of the dissident Magians to run society by covert controls was based on their assumption that human beings are not innately good enough, or gifted enough to create a human world.”

Even the term Gnostic (gnostokos) is a pejorative term invented by the so-called Church Fathers who ridiculed their rivals by referring to them as “smart ass” and “know it all.” The Gnostics called themselves “The Children of Seth.”

Lash notes that “paradoxically [even the word] ‘Gnostic’ comes down to us tainted by the condemnation of the Roman Church and associated with the very members of the Magian order who were disowned by the guardians of the Mysteries.”

The Illuminati then are the former adepts of the Mystery Schools who perverted and abused the spiritual teachings they had received in order to acquire material wealth and power, subverting their raison d’etre of life on Earth.

“The Illuminati program was (and still is) essential to patriarchy and its covert perpetrator religion,” Lash continues. “While it cannot exactly be said that the deviant adepts known as Illuminati created patriarchy, they certainly controlled it. And still do. The abuse of initiatory knowledge to induce schizophrenic states (‘entrainment’), manipulate multiple personalities in the same person (‘platforming’) and command behaviour through posthypnotic suggestion (the ‘Manchurian Candidate’ technique) continues to this day, with truly evil consequences for the entire world… These behavioural modification tools of the Illuminati were strictly forbidden in the Mysteries overseen by Gnostics.”

Thus the Illuminati were spiritual renegades and deviants who became the dominant controllers of the planet through their manipulation of patriarchal salvationist religion and a theology of terror. These former initiates of the Mystery Schools had seemingly taken the so-called left-handed path of ego-glorification and power games, rather than consecration of their lives to the enlightenment of humanity, whose goal was and always has been spiritual evolution on Earth.

Not In His Image is itself a revelation in the best sense, a meditation and a remarkable work of prose that naturally flows like poetry. Likewise, in his book, Lash has created a remarkable affirmation of spirituality and the metaphysical realities of life on earth.

In addition to his book, there is a wonderful DVD documentary by filmmaker Sharron Rose called Sophia Returning (see review on page 80 of this issue of New Dawn), featuring an in-depth interview with Lash who tells the remarkable story of the Gnostics and their cosmology and metaphysics.

Lash, a compelling storyteller, goes into detail about the story of the Aeon (Goddess) Sophia who came to embody the living being which is our beautiful Planet Earth. It may be a prison planet for those who were sentenced to live here, but for the rest of us, it is the best opportunity for spiritual evolution: to express love, kindness and compassion to all sentient beings, while we are on the screen of life.

In Sophia Returning, Lash also talks about his website MetaHistory.org, which is a magnificent online repository of all things Gnostic and esoteric. Lash refers to the ET phenomenon and the issue of “alien abduction.” He talks about the so-called Gnostic Catechism, which is a survival manual that gives instruction on what to do if accosted by an Archon (ET/UFO/trickster) and how to defend yourself against them since the Gnostics believed that they “steal souls at night.”

In an online article called “Avatar: The Psychedelic Worldview and the 3D Experience,” Ido Hartogsohn writes about the perceived 3D effect of our consensus reality:

“…The Pulfrich Effect, used to create stereoscopic images, relies on the principle that the human eye processes information slower in darker conditions to cause one eye to see reality in delay, thus creating a 3D illusion when watching moving objects. It is as if your two eyes were watching the screen from two different points in time, or from two different points in space.

“Similarly, the new 3D wave allows us to view culture from two distinct points of perspective in space and time: one of a culture completely immersed in consumerist mania, the other of a culture which keeps a strong relation to its mythic roots in nature.

“This multi-dimensional effect, which allows us to view ourselves from two different perspectives at the same time, might hint at the transformations ahead.” (www.realitysandwich.com/avatar_psychedelic_worldview_3d)

Maybe – maybe not. However, not since The Matrix has a “science fiction” movie captured the imagination and enthusiasm of a worldwide audience. Coincidentally The Matrix, like Avatar, was also a dramatisation of many Gnostic concepts and ideas, which also had a transformative effect on its audience.

In one of the most salient appreciations of the movie, Barbara Hand Clow writes that, “Avatar is a great story of heroic change and conquering the dark side. This subtle shift into new hope rings true because the film is galactic and universal, not just solar and earthbound. It is a sign that Earth’s quarantine is lifting, and our hearts are reconnecting with the universe.
    “Many individuals have made great strides in their personal work during the Triple Conjunction, and now the collective will be changing rapidly because universal wisdom is flowing into it,” Clow concludes. “Many of you must be doing very good work reaching subtle dimensions, making it possible for a creative work like Avatar to premiere on Earth.”

Writer and Artist URI DOWBENKO is the author of Bushwhacked: Inside Stories of True Conspiracy and Hoodwinked: Watching Movies with Eyes Wide Open. He is also the founder and publisher of www.ConspiracyPlanet.com, www.ConspiracyDigest.com, www.AlMartinRaw.com, and www.InsiderIntelligence.com, as well as the publisher of The Conspirators: Secrets of an Iran Contra Insider by Al Martin. You can visit Uri at www.UriDowbenko.com and www.NewImprovedArt.com.

heart glitter

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 am